Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Alvin Thomas Ethington (Remembering)



 Alvin 
(our friend)


Alvin Thomas Ethington was a man of words, both poetically and spiritually. If one had the opportunity to be taught by him or to know him, they'd have imprinted upon their mind and heart gems of knowledge and truth.

Alvin passed away this February 2, 2014 at the age of 56.  This loss is felt deeply by the author's of Pieces of Her Mind.  Alvin kept us focused (on our book) as he edited our poems for publication. 

His list of accomplishment is large and vast and I'm sure there are ones he never spoke of, as he was quite humble. Please keep his family and friends in your thoughts and prayers as they struggle to make their way through these next few days and weeks and into the future. 

Here is a few links to the obits, it you'd like to read more. 

 http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/latimes/obituary.aspx?n=alvin-t-ethington&pid=169854323

 http://www.trivalleycentral.com/obituaries/alvin-ethington/article_0bf14232-98c0-11e3-bee9-001a4bcf887a.html



lotus blooms
upon his
soliloquy


Note: depending on the definition you take, a lotus can be related to rebirth and the Sun. I'd like to think that each student of Alvin's is a rebirth to the many and wonderful lessons taught and learned and in that a bright sun shines.

Though his soul is silenced, what he's left behind speaks volumes.

 

I wish I'd known him as so many did here and in life. What a brilliant man who had shared so much of himself with those who were willing to listen, if even for a moment.
 

A void will forever be left vacant. My thoughts are with his family and friends. Death is so very personal, as it grips those left behind so differently. Know my thoughts and prayers are with you.

2 comments:

Deborah Kammer said...

Dearest Alvin

Always in my thoughts and in my heart with every Japanese form of poetry I write. You brought my love of these forms to life.

Alvin, a teacher, mentor, colleague and gentle kind friend. You will be missed by many. My deepest sympathies to your family ... they loved you well.

Rest In Peace

Skyline Spirit said...

pretty nice blog, following :)